Garfield in 1925. Photograph taken by Frank Weatherhead.
The occupations also give us some idea of the commercial structure of Garfield in 1903. There were three bakers - George Bird, Thomas Farrington and Charles Magnus; two Blacksmiths - George Park and William Ritchie; two butchers - Charles Routley and William Walker. Charles Lobb is listed as a Draper, George Archer, Russell Perl and Alfred Wild are storekeepers and William Campbell is listed as a Grocers Assistant. George and Thomas Ellis were Produce Merchants, Charles Regester was a Driver; Joseph Rutledge was a saddler, Phillip Knight was an Agent and James Towt was a Contractor. Reflecting the growth in the area at the time there was one builder, Robert Weir Smith (Senior) and three carpenters – Ingebert Gunnulson, Samuel Harvey and Phillip Leeson. Joseph Jefferson is listed as a brick maker and John Jefferson as a wood merchant. To satisfy the grooming needs of Garfield, Percy Malcolm was the hairdresser and John Daly, the School Teacher, took care of educational needs.
There were several unusual occupations – Thomas Chippindall is listed as Crown Lands Bailiff, Joseph Walker is described as being of Independent means, William Hewitt was an old age pensioner and David Brunt is described as a Maltster, which is a beer maker. There were two railway employees - Robert Brewer and Charles Mason.
Garfield State School. The School commenced in 1886 as the Cannibal Creek State School. It changed its name to Garfield in 1887. This building was moved to North Garfield in 1914 and became State School No.3489.
This photograph is from the Berwick Pakenham Historical Society collection.
In the next post we will look at who lived in Koo-Wee-Rup in 1903.