Monday, December 23, 2019

Cora Lynn in flood

This postcard was  sent by my grandfather, Joseph Rouse, to his uncle Bob, Robert Rouse. Joe was born in November 1892 and he and his father, James, arrived at Cora Lynn in July 1903 (read about this here).  The post card shows Cora Lynn in flood, possibly the June 1911 flood. The building on the right is the E.S & A Bank. I believe it opened around the same time as the Cora Lynn Cheese factory, which was December 1910 or early January 1911.


This is what was written on the post card. It doesn't sound like Grandpa was much of  a correspondent.


Cora Lynn Thursday 8th 

Dear Uncle Bob,
Just a  few lines to ask how you are all getting on write and let me now (sic) as soon as you can and I will write again. Dan Tierney told me to write years ago but I have never done so. This card was taken in the time of the flood last year you can see Tierney's house the furthest away with the pine trees in front. I will close with love to all for  now. I remain your loving nephew, Joseph Rouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment